Tuesday 23 December 2014

Hidden London | VauxWall, London


We all get stuck in our routines, even those of us who live in a city like London. It's especially true when it comes to exercise. The same circuit, the same weights, the same reps are all easy ruts to fall into, yet very difficult to climb back out of.

I first considered going climbing instead of the gym while training for Tough Mudder. I was running and gym-ing almost every day, growing increasingly bored and finding myself stuck at a certain level - the old exercise plateau.

Fortunately for me, at about the same time, VauxWall opened all of ten minutes down the road.


Built within a couple of the archways beneath Vauxhall railway station, VauxWall is a bouldering centre - basically, climbing without ropes, with a large crash mat to fall on, should you need it. I haven't so far...luckily.


It's good fun, very tiring, and a great workout for your arms, legs, and even your lungs. It is a little daunting, seeing people hanging from blocks no bigger than a penny, but even in the short time I've been going, I've improved and moved up from the basic blocks to the (ever-so-slightly) smaller ones.



In the New Year I'll be making a regular weekly visit to VauxWall. I'm not going to grow the necessary hand calluses without it!

Liked this piece? Check out my review of Tough Mudder, London South!

p.s. All images taken from the VauxWall website gallery (and do not feature me).

No comments:

Post a Comment